Woolworths collapse – November 2008
Iconic British retail brand Woolworths appointed Deloitte as administrator on November 27 last year. This signalled that the combination of credit crunch, financial services sector turmoil and recession was claiming victims in all sectors.
The collapse of investment bank Lehman Brothers after 150 years of operation a year ago this week shattered the foundations of the financial system that world stability relies on.
September 15 2008 and Lehman Brothers’ collapse was not the catalyst of the collapse of the global financial system but is regarded as the moment people realised the system was broke.
Since the moment Lehman Brothers announced that it had entered administration the financial system went into melt-down and took thousands of IT jobs with it.
Banks are the biggest users of IT and what was once a safe haven for IT professionals became treacherous.
- Flipbook: Credit Crunch jokes
- IT rises from the ashes of Lehman Brothers collapse
- Case study: How PwC used IT to untangle Lehman Brothers collapse
- Watch how the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy unfolded
- BBC iPlayer: Ten Lehman Brothers aftershocks