India-based developer NIIT has issued a practical guide to ensure successful offshore software development. Below are some of the key points. To request a full copy e-mail [email protected]
What to ask a supplier
- What will be the costs involved?
- What kind of arrangement will be best: offshore, onshore or a combination?
- How will quality be ensured?
- What level of professionals will work on this project?
- Will the offshore developer's resources be scalable?
- How will the project be managed?
- What will be the reporting structure?
- What are the delivery times promised?
- What level of maintenance will the outsourcing company provide and over what length of time?
- Do the cultures of the two companies match?
Nine ways to win at outsourcing
- To gauge the offshore developer's capabilities, insist on a visit to their facility overseas
- Select an offshore developer only if it has the SEI CMM Level 5 certification
- Remember that price is not the key criterion for selecting one offshore developer over another
- Ensure the offshore developer has a UK presence
- In the contract, insist on a clause that addresses the responsibility for documentation, knowledge transfer and intellectual property
- Appoint a core team with a project manager to oversee the entire project
- Work out a detailed project schedule and monitor it closely
- Ensure full buy-in from your senior management for the project
- Set clear definitions of success and failure.