- Lower salaries
- Lower property costs
- Government grants
- Economies of scale from datacentre consolidation: eg, fewer staff, simpler comms infrastructure and stronger negotiating position with comms providers and utilities
- Profits from selling former premises
- High bandwidth infrastructure available in industrial/regional development zones.
- Cost of the relocation project
- Loss of key staff
- Recruitment costs, possible lack of skills
- Disruption to business and downtime during move
- Deferral of other projects.
Watch out for
- Unexpected delays from external events, such as virus outbreaks
- Have third-party experts on site during the move, such as engineers from your network supplier
- Accurately calculate time from final back up to setting up the system in the new location so it fits into the time window of the move
- Limited windows for moving - Easter, August bank holiday and Christmas (when staff overtime costs are high)
- Accepting some PCs may arrive broken can be cheaper than paying for specialist carriers.