- There are larger more cost-effective single-image servers which effectively bring up the low-end from six-way to 16-way systems.
- Features are moving more into the mainframe types of functions.
- Resource management allows the co-existence of applications on a single server/domain.
- Logical partitioning is becoming more available in addition to physical partitioning.
- All OEMs are moving up the performance scales at the high-end.
- Datacentre consolidation is becoming more accepted as part of lowering the total cost of ownership of an IT operation by significantly reducing operating costs.
- More e-oriented environments and applications are being developed.
Companies developing 64-bit Linux
Sun (UltraSparc 3) IBM (Power PC) Hewlett-packard (PA-Risc, Itanium)