Tmx Spicerhaart Company information
- Tmx Spicerhaart started out as a single branch operation in the central Essex area in 1989
- It is still a family affair, run by chief executive Paul Smith and his father Alick
- It now has about 2,000 employees
- It has about 300 offices, including financial services
- Annual turnover is approximately £80m.
- The company's Web site
- URL: www.tmxhome.com
- From January to March the site had a monthly average of 96,000 unique users who made 450,000 visits with 40 million hits, generating 10 million page impressions
- Every day 4,500 automated e-mails are sent to notify people of new properties on the market
- The site generates 500 valuation opportunities a day for the branch networks.
TMX Spicerhaart: the tech specs
- 1,000 PCs across its branches
- Supported by 20 servers at head office, with extra servers in branch offices in place of PC s where needed
- SQL-based database in head office, supported by six servers
- Branches use a FoxPro database
- The company also uses the Quest database - a bespoke product for the surveying industry - which is interfaced with its own systems
- Microsoft-based, with Dell hardware
- The company is installing thin-film transistor screens in all its branches.
Self-help the Spicerhaart way
- A four-strong helpdesk
- Four engineers
- Its own maintenance staff
- A second layer of tech support has three people, two of whom are MCSE qualified
- A dedicated telecommunications person.
- The company also does its own Web hosting and application development, employing four full-time development staff.
How much does TmxSpicerhaart spend?
- The IT and telecommunications budget for 2002 is £4,225,000. This breaks down as:
- Telecommunications - voice and data - £1,850,000
- Hardware - capital expenditure and leasing - £1,575,000
- IT resources (including development) £800,000.