How to cut costs and maintain services
- Be prepared to tackle big issues and make significant changes
- Recognise that an IT department is about people and there is no substitute for continual and effective communication
- Recognise that you inherit both the good and the bad in legacy systems, and drive for standardisation and simplification - but accept that you cannot achieve it overnight
- The most important success factor is to get on and stay on the business agenda - you must promote the recognition that IT serves business needs
- Do not neglect "business as usual". You need to be able to demonstrate to your board that you are as cost-effective as they think your peers are - and educate them if their assumptions on that are wrong.