WorkLight has launched a system to secure the use of Facebook social networking in enterprise environments.
The UK is host to the highest number of active Facebook users outside the US, totalling an estimated 8 million users, according to Facebook.
WorkLight says WorkBook allows safe and effective use of Facebook at work, addressing concerns among CIOs that consumer-based social networking sites are a threat to their business.
The WorkBook application, previously only available in the US, combines all the capabilities of Facebook with all the controls of a corporate environment.
With WorkBook, employees can securely use Facebook to:
* Find colleagues by name, location, department, project and area of expertise
* Collaborate with peers using familiar Facebook capabilities
* View up-to-date, corporate-specific information about peers such as status, department, role and location
* Receive general and personalised company news directly from a Facebook news feed
* Create groups around shared interest areas and work-related projects
* Setup Q&A forums with colleagues to get quick answers
In addition, WorkBook provides businesses with:
* Secure provisioning that ensures the application can be used only by authorized employees
* Information security - corporate-related information is visible only to employees
* Compliance with existing security policies - enterprise security integration authenticates WorkBook users via corporate authentication facilities, enforces access control policies and supports Single Sign-On (SSO)
* Integration with the company's directory or applications to augment information from Facebook profiles
The WorkLight server is licensed to enterprises by yearly subscription. Pricing starts at £7.50 per user per month, with volume discount pricing available.