McAfee has expanded its software-as-a-service (SaaS) offering with a new business unit to offer cloud-based services to firms.
The SaaS unit will be responsible for all products within McAfee delivered over the internet, including security scanning services, web and e-mail security services and remote managed host-based security software and hardware.
"We are positioning McAfee for sustained growth by building the scale and scope the company needs for the future," said Dave DeWalt, McAfee president and chief executive officer.
"McAfee has always been a SaaS leader, and the new business unit will enable us to further strengthen our current solutions and introduce new, innovative services," he said.
McAfee has appointed Marc Olesen senior vice-president and general manager of the new SaaS Security Business Unit. Olesen was previously vice-president of SaaS business at HP and has held executive positions at Qwest Cyber Solutions and BearingPoint.
He will report to DeWalt and Christopher Bolin, McAfee chief technology officer and executive vice-president.
Olesen said, "SaaS is an appealing option for IT leaders because of its cost effectiveness. There is significant pressure to reduce spending while maintaining high levels of service, and McAfee's SaaS offerings help companies do both by allowing them to adopt what they need right now and to adjust as their business needs evolve."
Some current McAfee SaaS products and technologies:
• Artemis - real-time malware intelligence service
• TrustedSource - a reputation system that does real-time correlation of web, e-mail and network traffic
• McAfee SiteAdvisor - scans 95% of the trafficked web and processes billions of requests daily to protect users from malicious websites
• McAfee Total Protection Service - easy to manage security service used to protect organisations
• McAfee Email Security Service - a hosted e-mail service for organisations that stops e-mail borne attacks and spam before reaching the customer's network.