By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
Blackberry Storm, with its touch-sensitive screen, will put RIM in direct competition with Apple, which launched its iPhone earlier this year.
Unlike previous generations of Blackberry with a mini QWERTY keyboard, RIM has developed what it claims is the world's first "clickable" touch-screen. The screen-based keyboard is able to respond much like a physical keyboard, RIM claims.
The screen depresses slightly when it is pressed to mimic the action of pressing a key on a physical keyboard.
"The user distinctly feels the screen being pressed and released with a gentle 'click', similar to the feeling of a key on a physical keyboard or a button on a mouse," Rim said. "The result is a dramatically enhanced touch interface and a highly intuitive typing experience."
The screen also supports multi-touches, taps, slides, and other touch-screen gestures, which Rim said can be used to highlight, scroll, pan, and zoom.
Blackberry Storm features
- Preloaded software allows users to edit Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint files on the handset
- 3.2megapixel camera, with variable zoom, auto focus, and flash to provide continuous lighting when recording video
- Built-in GPS supports location-based applications and services. Enables "geotagging" of photos
- 1GB of on board memory storage and a microSD/SDHD memory card slot that supports up to 16GB of additional storage
- Media player that can play movies in full screen mode, display pictures and slideshows and manage a music collection. Playlists can be created directly on the handset. An equalizer features 11 preset filters - including "Lounge", "Jazz" and "Hip Hop"
- An ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts backlighting on the screen. An accelerometer allows customers to view applications in either portrait or landscape mode by rotating the handset
- Removable and rechargeable 1400mAhr battery provides approximately 6 hours of talk time on 3G networks and 15 days of standby time