TechTarget

Vista consumer uptake to outstrip business use

Consumer take-up of Windows Vista will far outstrip business take-up in terms of their share of the market, said analyst IDC.

Consumer take-up of Windows Vista will far outstrip business take-up in terms of their share of the market, said analyst IDC.

Microsoft's launch of the Windows Vista family of client operating environments will quickly have an impact on the makeup of the worldwide client operating environment market, said IDC.

With 2007 deployments of Windows Vista projected at 90 million units, IDC believes Windows Vista will quickly displace the majority of shipments of older Windows client operating systems, led by strong acceptance on the consumer front.

During the calendar year 2007, Windows Vista Home products are projected to account for 90% of new Windows client operating environments deployed by home users.

By comparison, Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Enterprise will account for 35% of the new Windows client operating environments deployed by business users.

During the second full year of availability, Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Enterprise will grow to account for 80% of new deployments, said the analyst.

"After a long wait, the adoption of Windows Vista will take place almost immediately among consumers, while businesses will follow a decidedly more conservative adoption curve," said IDC analyst Al Gillen.

Across the product mix, IDC expects to see a healthy movement towards Windows Vista Home Premium, while Windows Vista Ultimate will remain "a niche product for some time to come".

During 2007, IDC expects that Windows Vista Home Basic will account for 67% of consumer purchases, with Windows Home Premium capturing 30% of the consumer market. Windows Vista Ultimate will account for 2% of the worldwide shipments.

On the business front, 82% of Windows Vista deployments are expected to be the Business edition, while the remaining 18% will be Windows Vista Enterprise, said IDC.

 

Comment on this article: computer.weekly@rbi.co.uk

CW+

Features

Enjoy the benefits of CW+ membership, learn more and join.

Read more

0 comments

Oldest 

Forgot Password?

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an email containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

-ADS BY GOOGLE

SearchCIO

SearchSecurity

SearchNetworking

SearchDataCenter

SearchDataManagement

Close