Identity management and the growing importance of directories will underpin new products being unveiled at the Burton Group Catalyst Conference in San Francisco.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
As Microsoft kicks its ID management efforts into high gear suppliers including IBM, Novell, Waveset Technologies Critical Path, Neoteris and Sun Microsystems will unveil auditing, password management, compliance, and secure identity portal initiatives at the conference.
Last week Microsoft revamped its metadirectory product, dubbed MIIS (Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003) which includes automated account provisioning and Web-based self-service password-management.
The company also announced Identity and Access Management Solution Accelerator, a set of prescriptive guidelines created with PricewaterhouseCoopers to help build and test ID management infrastructures, and by the end of the summer it expects to unveil Adam (Active Directory in Application Mode), which allows customers to deploy Active Directory as an LDAP directory service for application-specific data, and an Audit Collection System, which consolidates security event logs to identify access patterns.
Regulatory pressures, distributed systems, and the desire to secure web services are forcing customers to re-evaluate supplier commitment to identity management, said Jamie Lewis, chief executive and research chair at Burton Group.
Lewis said MIIS and Adam are precursors to a larger push by Microsoft to integrate identity-based security for identity definition, policy, and role management and Microsoft will build or acquire Web-based access management technology, policy control and delegated administration.
- At Catalyst, IBM is expected to unveil an enterprise privacy language and toolkits to help developers build privacy into applications to ease ID management. It plans to tackle provisioning through its release of IBM Tivoli Identity Manager 4.5 next month. The product will boast enhanced customization features to automate business processes within enterprise environments.
- Novell will make noise at Catalyst with Novell Nsure Audit, which provides secure logging, Web-based access control, and auditing, as the newest addition to the Nsure secure identity management line. An SDK will complement the release to plug-in third-party applications. Novell will also release a secure ID management road map and a SAML (Security Assertion Markup Language) extension for iChain.
- Waveset will unveil Waveset Lighthouse Directory Master, a cross-platform administration portal for directories. The product offers a single interface for multiple directories to migrate and manage disparate identity data into a consolidated environment. It will also team up with Sun at Catalyst to produce an ID management offering for PeopleSoft apps.
- Critical Path will announce a password management application featuring a reusable architecture that leverages existing infrastructure components, including metadirectory.
- Neoteris will introduce Neoteris Meeting Series, an appliance for secure online meetings for 10 to 250 simultaneous users via SSL transport.
Brian Fonseca writes for Infoworld