Ford and Qualcomm jettison telematics venture


Ford and Qualcomm jettison telematics venture

Ford and wireless technology company Qualcomm have folded Wingcast, their joint venture launched in 2000 to develop wireless data services for vehicles.

Wingcast was developing "telematics" technology and services - a combination of GPS tracking and wireless communication for automatic roadside assistance and remote diagnostics. General Motors was the first in the telematics field with its OnStar system.

Ford said that it was still committed to bringing telematics to its vehicles. However, it said it does "not believe it is necessary to have equity interest in a telematics service provider in order to meet that goal".

Ford owned roughly 85% of the Wingcast venture, while Qualcomm held the remaining 15%.

Ford has provided the sole source of funding for Wingcast since May 2001. Before that, Qualcomm invested $25m (£17.4m) in the venture in exchange for its minority stake.

Email Alerts

Register now to receive IT-related news, guides and more, delivered to your inbox.
By submitting your personal information, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant products and special offers from TechTarget and its partners. You also agree that your personal information may be transferred and processed in the United States, and that you have read and agree to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy.

COMMENTS powered by Disqus  //  Commenting policy