Cisco buys Nuova and launches FCoE-compliant switch

Article

Cisco buys Nuova and launches FCoE-compliant switch

Dave Raffo, News Director
Cisco today officially disclosed its intention to buy Nuova Systems, a subsidiary founded by Cisco veterans who have been developing Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) technology for two years. Under the terms of an agreement signed in 2006, Cisco will pay up to $678 million (£339m) for Nuova depending on how much revenue its products bring in.

Cisco also unveiled the Nexus 5000 switch, which is part of its next-generation data centre platform and will support FCoE. Cisco described the switch as a collaboration between Cisco and Nuova, and said it will have a price of $900 (£450) per port.

FCoE is so simple. One Fibre Channel frame in one Ethernet frame. Nothing else exists
Silvano Gai
senior fellowNuova
Cisco's acquisition is hardly surprising. The company invested $70 (£35m) million in Nuova in August 2006 to it get up and running, and owned 80 percent of the company with an option to buy the other 20 percent. The Nuova team is led by Mario Mazzola, Luca Cafiero, Prem Jain, and Soni Jiandani – the same group behind Andiamo Systems that developed Cisco's MDS Fibre Channel switches before Cisco acquired it in 2002.

Cisco expects to close the deal by the end of July. The payout will be made in three measurement periods – the first ending late 2009, the second in mid-2010 and the third around the middle of 2011.

Cisco joined storage networking vendors Emulex and QLogic and chipmaker Intel and system vendors EMC and NetApp at a press conference at Storage Networking World this week to hype FCoE products.

Emulex introduced the LightPulse LP21000 platform of converged network adapters that support FcoE, Qlogic launched its 8000 series of FCoE-compliant converged network adapters, and Intel said its 10-Gigabit Ethernet adapters now all support FCoE.

The vendors maintain that FcoE will save money in the data centre by reducing the number of cables, adapters and switches to run Fibre Channel and Ethernet networks. "FCoE is so simple," senior Nuova fellow Silvano Gai said. "One Fibre Channel frame in one Ethernet frame. Nothing else exists.

Ethernet is used in storage through the iSCSI protocol. While iSCSI is a small piece of the storage market compared to Fibre Channel, it had been growing in use quickly in recent months and vendors who sell iSCSI SANs expect to get a bump from greater availability of 10-GigE connectivity.

But Gai said Fibre Channel was a failure as a storage protocol in the enterprise, and FCoE is the best way to take advantage of 10-GigE.

"We observed iSCSI for many many years, but it was not taking off," Gai said. "For huge data centres, people were looking for something different and that is Fibre Channel over Ethernet.

The connectivity vendors predict FCoE will start showing up in data centres in the coming months. The FCoE standard is expected to be completed this year. Implementation also depends on the development of Enhanced Ethernet, also known as Data Centre Ethernet, an emerging standard designed to give Ethernet the performance capabilities to run storage traffic. Enhanced Ethernet probably won't be ratified until 2009 but Intel general manager of LAN access Tom Swinford said he expects customers to go to FCoE this year because storage vendors will have interoperable products.

Gai agreed customers won't wait for Enhanced Ethernet ratification.

"I believe you'll have Fortune 500 companies using FCoE this year," Gai said.

Not everyone is so bullish about the timeframe. NetApp vice president Joe Reich said NetApp will support FCoE but pegged the beginning of FCoE adoption as the first half of 2009, because that's when operating system and server vendors will have FCoE compliant products.


Email Alerts

Register now to receive ComputerWeekly.com IT-related news, guides and more, delivered to your inbox.
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
 

COMMENTS powered by Disqus  //  Commenting policy