The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) plans to develop a model business case to help public and private sector organisations justify and implement privacy protection in their business processes and systems.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
The ICO commissioned law firms Watson Hall and John Leach Information Security in August 2008. The business case will involve understanding the costs and benefits of protecting personal privacy and what organisations can do about it now and in future.
The issues include:
- The meaning of privacy to different people
- The maturity of ideas on the subject
- The value of personal information to organisations and individuals, and how to measure it
- Benefits for protecting personal information, and who benefits from it
- The costs of protecting personal privacy
- The effects on the organisation that need to be considered, over and above the financial cost
- How to decide on personal privacy protection options
- How to weigh up the costs and benefits in corporate decision making
- The approaches, methods and measures that organisations use to protect privacy at present