Rupert Murdoch has confirmed plans to charge for all online news content on his major UK newspapers with 12 months.
The chairman of News Corporation, which owns The Times, The Sunday Times, News of the World and The Sun, told reporters of his plans as the company released its fourth quarter results.
He did not give any idea of how readers might be charged for content, but said the titles were strong enough online for people to be happy to pay.
It is already well known that The Sunday Times is building a standalone site that will charge readers for content.
The company made a loss of $203m (£119m), due to a $680m write-down on its MySpace business, compared to a $1.1bn profit in the same period last year.