Computers may be one cause of "sick building" syndrome, according to new research.
A flame-retardant chemical in the plastic casing of computers and VDU screens is emitted as a vapour when they heat up. This can cause an allergic reaction in some people, Swedish research has found.
More than half of 18 computer VDU brands tested produced levels of the chemical triphenyl phosphate which were above normal background levels.
The chemical has been linked to a range of complaints, including itching, blocked noses and headaches.
The highest levels of the chemical were found in new computers on the first few occasions they were used.