Some 82% of people have downloaded content from the web illegally, according to a survey of more than 1,600 pe...
The study was commissioned by discount website www.MyVoucherCodes.co.uk.
The findings were:
- 82% of people who use the internet have downloaded a file illegally in the past.
- 24% have watched streamed movies online,
- 32% have downloaded films that were still on at the cinema.
Of those who said they had downloaded files illegally:
- 35% have used torrent websites
- 78% have used peer-to-peer programs
- 52% have tried streaming illegal video and music content
- 8% have sold illegal content that they had downloaded.
Men were found to be more likely to download illegal files, with 85% saying they done so, compared to 79% of women.
- 47% said they did not think of it as crime
- 64% said they downloaded content illegally to save money
- 26% were "too impatient" to wait for films and music to be officially released.
The most downloaded files were:
- MP3s - 76%
- Movies - 71%
- Video games - 68%
- Software - 65%
- TV shows - 60%
- Sports - 57%
- Copyrighted images - 53%
- Databases - 21%