Andy Burgess, a software programmer from Farringdon, London, became the first UK customer for a T-Mobile G1, the first commercial implementation of Google's Android mobile phone platform at 7am this morning.
Queues for the phone started forming outside T-Mobile's Oxford Street store at 5am. The Arctic chill did nothing to dampen Andy Burgess's delight.
"Being the first person in the UK to own this mobile phone is amazing. I'm going to be popular at work. I've been waiting for this phone for months and I knew I had to be the first to own it," Burgess said.
So far exclusive to T-Mobile, the G1 is based on a relatively open software platform that offers a full touch screen and QWERTY keyboard for online communication and high speed internet. Popular Google services such as the browser and Maps are already on board. There are also some 50 applications users can download for free (see box).
T-Mobile is selling the G1 for free on 18-month, £40 a month contracts that include unlimited fast mobile internet browsing.
Applications available free on Android Market from 30 October include:
- Barcode Scanner v2.1 - Scans and recognises the barcode of any product
- ShopSavvy - Compares prices online and on the high street
- CompareEverywhere - Scans barcodes and gives directions to local stores using Google maps
- Mandelbrot Map - Map viewer
- Krystle II - Pet your phone
- Pocket Seismograph - Monitors the phone's accelerometer
- Translate - Translation tool
- Pro Football Live! - Football news / information
- BreadCrumbz - Navigate via user-generated pictures
- e-ventr - Event organizer and friendship scout
- iMap Weather™ - Weather application
- Ecorio - Track and reduce your carbon footprint, "green community"
- Cocktail! - Database of cocktails
- Cooking Capsules Taster - Cooking application
- Wikitude - AR Travel - Mobile travel guide
- AccuWeather.com - Global weather
- Shazam - Identify music, store and buy music
- PicSay - Personalize pictures with text
- Panoramio - Finds pictures of interesting places in your area
- TuneWiki - Next generation social media player
- BlueBrush - Draw with friends, share the same canvas
- Video Player v.01 - Plays video files off of the G1's SD card
- Photostream - Photo browser for Flickr
- Ringdroid - Create ringtones
- SplashPlay - Music application
- QuickList - To do lists
- WikiMobile Encyclopedia - Wikipedia for mobile devices
- Maverick - IM compatible to Google Talk
- Radar - Draw a bearing between the user's current location and latitude/longitude
- Task Switcher - Search-Space is the new "Alt-Tab"
- Spare Parts - Android developing tool
- Text-To-Speech Translator - Text-to-speech services
- Any Cut v0.5 - Home shortcuts to "anything" on your web or your phone
- Locale - Manages phone settings based on conditions (e.g. location)
- Contacts De-Duper - De-duplicate your contacts to streamline your contacts folder
- Shutter Spead - Detailed camera settings to make the most of the in-built camera and web access
- DiskUsage - Utility to examine SD card content to manage what you store on your phone
- Rings Extended - Replaces standard ringtones
Games & Puzzles
- PAC-MAN by Namco
- Metamath Solitaire
- Anagrams v0.2
- Slide Puzzle
- Divide and Conquer!
- CB Blackjack
- Bubble Bash
- Bonsai Blast
- Balls 2 The Wall
- Android Says