Britannia insources HR and payroll systems to aid development plans


Britannia insources HR and payroll systems to aid development plans

Britannia Building Society is to bring its payroll and human resources systems back in house to give it more control over future developments, which include providing “self-service HR” functionality for its 4,500 employees.

As Britannia nears the end of a five-year outsourcing contract with HR and payroll specialist ICS, it plans to roll out a MySAP enterprise system in a two- to three-year HR change programme, known internally as PeoplePlus.

Helen Bates, the HR change manager responsible for the programme, said the decision to insource was driven by the close fit between Britannia’s plans and MySAP’s functionality.

The move away from outsourcing was not part of a wider strategy by the building society, but was the logical outcome of a competitive tender process that identified MySAP as being best suited to Britannia’s needs, she said.

“We wanted to be able to develop applications quickly and have close control over them, as we have so many plans in this area. Our existing outsourcing arrangements were too static and did not give us the functionality we needed,” she said.

Bates said Britannia wanted to keep customisation of MySAP to a minimum. “Because of the close match we identified, we are confident we will be able to use about 90% of the systems without undertaking development work, leaving just 10% of it to customise,” she said.

Britannia is using HR service provider Pecaso for some of its development work. It expects to go live with the HR database and payroll systems by the end of the summer, and introduce self-service functions for staff by the first quarter of next year.

Britannia's Systems

Britannia’s 4,500 Windows XP desktops run on Windows Server 2000 and 2003. Its core systems are Tietoenator Summit, Fineos Clientwise and Oracle Financials, all of which link to an Oracle database.

MySAP ERP 2004 runs on Sun Solaris servers hosted by Attenda, and Britannia is using SAP MaxDB 7.5 as the database to store its human resources data.

Although MySAP ERP 2004 is not tightly integrated with the Microsoft infrastructure, Britannia has plans to link it with Active Directory to provide a single sign-on facility for its staff.

Email Alerts

Register now to receive IT-related news, guides and more, delivered to your inbox.
By submitting your personal information, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant products and special offers from TechTarget and its partners. You also agree that your personal information may be transferred and processed in the United States, and that you have read and agree to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy.

This was first published in May 2006


COMMENTS powered by Disqus  //  Commenting policy