Next year's awards will form a central part of the BCS's golden jubilee celebrations
The BCS IT Professional Awards 2007 are set to be very special, as they will form a central part of the BCS's 50th anniversary celebration, with the presentation ceremony forming the culmination of the year's events.
When the London Computer Group, established in 1956, merged with an association of scientists in October 1957, the BCS was born. Maurice Wilkes presided over the inaugural year.
Since then, the BCS has achieved a great deal and is now recognised as the leading body for those working in IT and the qualifying body for chartered IT professionals. Its objectives are to promote the study and practice of computing and to advance knowledge of, and education in IT for the benefit of the public.
The organisation has grown in the past 50 years from 1,300 members to nearly 60,000, spread across 40 UK branches and 15 international sections. As well as networking via local branches, members can join any of the specialist groups on topics such as information security, disability, the internet and law.
The BCS forums complement the work of the groups and branches and enable members to influence their sector of interest at the highest level and increase the impact and recognition of IT professionals. These include Women in IT, Ethics, Education, Management, Security, and Engineering and Technology.
The BCS IT Professional Awards have been an integral part of the BCS for the past 33 years, and are regarded as the leading hallmark of success among practitioners in the industry. They recognise, promote and acclaim excellence, professionalism, innovation and the outstanding achievements to which individuals and groups contribute.
Entering the awards is an opportunity for organisations to be rewarded for their hard work and dedication. The awards recognise team and individual efforts, as well as projects and innovations that have transformed business or had a social impact.
Next year's awards will introduce a new format, which will be unveiled in February. Don't miss out - register now.
HISTORY OF THE BCS
1957 BCS formed from merger of the London Computer Group and an association of scientists
1966 BCS granted charitable status
1970 Armorial bearings, including the shield and crest, granted
1976 Duke of Kent becomes patron
1984 Incorporated by Royal Charter as a chartered body
1989 BCS becomes a chartered engineering institution
1996 Licensed by Engineering Council
2004 Licensed by Science Council implementation of new governance and membership structure trustee board takes over legal responsibility for BCS governance, with council continuing as advisory body new title of chartered IT professional created.