By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
Always a man who had a realistic respect for the NPfIT’s challenges, Halligan quit as joint NPfIT senior responsible owner after only six months in the role, for reasons which were never given.
Before his departure he had acknowledged that not enough had been done to win the support of clinicians.
Their buy-in, he had said, was critical to the success of the NPfIT. He said in 2004:
“There has not been much engagement by clinicians in the early stages of the programme and for that, I apologise. We do need to be open and honest and the most important part of communication is listening.”
With prescience, he had also said that the NPfIT would not work unless it was owned locally.
Now Halligan has spoken publicly about the NPfIT for the first timesince he left the programme. His comments arereported by Smarthealthcare.com which quotes Halligan as saying at HC2010at Birmingham that:
– The NHS has had too much money in thelast decade, which has allowed projects to be introduced with enoughthought of how they’d work in practice.
– The NPfIT has beentoo top-down and didn’t engage enough with frontline staff. If Halligancould advise a new prime minister he’d say that culture eats strategyfor breakfast, and unless any new NHS IT strategy starts from the bottom itwill not work.
– The three things the NHS needs are leadership,leadership and leadership
– IT will be at the heart ofrecession-led changes.
– Good teamwork reduces mortality insurgery by 40%.
[Aidan Halligan is reported to havebeen a founder of the NPfIT. He wasn’t. He was appointed seniorresponsible owner about two years after the programme was launched.]
NPfIT ignoredNHS culture says Halligan – Smarthealthcare.com
SROchanges threaten project success – and the NPfIT has had 6 – ITProjects Blog
AidanHalligan biography – HC2010
NHSjoint IT chief resigns after six months in the job -ComputerWeekly.com
Doesthis explain why CfH suspended some summary care record uploads? -IT Projects Blog