HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) are organising a series...
of workshops to support high-tech SMEs.
The free workshops will be available to SMEs up and down the country and will support the SMEs in business growth, research and development (R&D), tax credits and innovation.
The workshops will provide information on how businesses can make claims for further help, as well as providing background support.
Carol Lunney, HMRC assistant director, business tax, said: “Innovation lies at the heart of our culture. British ideas and inventions have helped shape our world, from the telephone to the World Wide Web. The UK has the largest creative sector per head in the world. These workshops are designed to ensure our high-tech SMEs get the help they need to help them invest in R&D and innovation.”
Dates and venues
Tues 11 March – Cambridge Hauser Forum, The Seminar Centre
Tues 18 March – Leicester University, Stamford Court
Thurs 3 April – Reading University, Palmer Building, Whiteknights
Wed 9 April – Plymouth, Tamar Science Park
Wed 30 April – Oxford, Satellite Applications Catapult Ltd, Harwell
Wed 14 May – Sheffield Business School, Stoddart Building, Sheffield Hallam University
Wed 4 June – Portsmouth, Langstone Technology Park
Wed 18 June – Scotland (details are being finalised)
Topics to be covered include:
- R&D tax credits and the Patent Box tax incentive, led by HMRC
- Grants, knowledge transfer, networking, procurement and more, led by the Technology Strategy Board
- EU funding for business R&D and innovation, including the Horizon 2020 programme for research and innovation
- Patents and intellectual property, by the Intellectual Property Office
- Help on innovation and opportunities to commercialise technology through design projects, by the Design Council
The workshops will consist of a 20-minute presentation on each topic, followed by 10 minutes of questions, and experts will also be on hand to talk at designated stands. A maximum of 30 delegates will be able to attend each presentation.