Indonesia has overtaken China as the top source of cyber attacks, according to the latest study of internet traffic from content delivery firm Akamai.
By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
However, the report points out that its methodology captures the source IP address of an observed attack and cannot determine attribution of an attacker.
The report said ports 80 and 443 were the most commonly targeted ports, accounting for 41% of observed attacks combined.
Port 445, the perennial top target, fell from first place for the first time since the first quarter of 2008, dropping to 15% of observed attacks.
Distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks also increased in the second quarter, up by 54% compared with the first three months of the year.
Websites and applications in all sectors, across all geographic regions, are potential attack targets
The number of DDoS attacks targeting customers in the enterprise sector nearly doubled in the second quarter, with attacks largely concentrated on customers in the business services and financial services verticals.
However, the report notes that websites and applications in all sectors, across all geographic regions, are potential attack targets.
Of the total DDoS attacks for the second quarter, enterprises made up 42%, followed by the commercial sector (29%), media and entertainment (17%), and high tech (7%).
The public sector experienced the lowest proportion of DDoS attacks, with just 5% of the total for the quarter.
More on DDoS
- More than one-fifth of UK firms hit by DDoS attacks in 2012
- Activists unleash biggest DDoS cyber attack to date
- Business struggling with DDoS and other cyber threats, poll reveals
- A quarter of 2013 DDoS attacks will be app-based, says Gartner
- HSBC back online after DDoS attack
- Police arrest man for DDoS attacks on Theresa May sites
- Five DDoS attack tools that you should know about
- Some activist DDoS attacks growing in sophistication, expert says
- Denial-of-service attacks get easier to set up
- Application-layer DDoS - a new threat vector
The number of DDoS attacks reported by customers in Asia nearly tripled in the second quarter, while customers in the Americas accounted for nearly two-thirds of all attacks reported to Akamai.
Neustar is to host the first international DDoS awareness event on 23 October 2013.