Yahoo has recorded the most traffic of any web property in the US for July, beating Google for the first time since May 2011.
Yahoo properties attracted 196.6 million visitors compared with Google’s 192.3 million, according to internet analytics firm ComScore, which tracks unique visitors to US sites.
In July, Microsoft dropped to third place (179.6 million), followed by Facebook (142.3 million).
This represents an increase of around 20% for Yahoo compared with July 2012, when it was third in the ComScore rankings after Google and Microsoft, according to CNN Money.
Read more about Yahoo
- Yahoo acquires short movie app maker Qwiki
- Yahoo buys UK teenager’s app for £18m
- Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer begins product overhaul
- Yahoo to update homepage to win back users
- Ross Levinsohn resigns from Yahoo
- Yahoo claims second Google executive as COO
- Much ado about Yahoo cutting the telecommuting cord
- Scott Thompson restructures Yahoo
- Yahoo CEO Scott Thompson quits
The July figures provide some evidence that Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer’s turnaround strategies are working. Yahoo’s share price has also increased 80% in the past year.
According to Yahoo, the revamped Yahoo mail app for tablets brought a 120% increase in daily active Yahoo mail users.
ComScore noted that Tumblr did not directly contribute to Yahoo’s visitor tally and that mobile visitors were not counted.