Atul Govil, the head of SAP-IT at IGL, informs that prior to the BI dashboard, employees took several days or even weeks to generate sales and shipping reports based on data retrieved from SAP ERP. “Today, with QlikView’s BI dashboard in place, the process has shrunk to a few seconds. Moreover, the users do not have to depend on the IT team to obtain these reports,” Govil says.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
IGL is a manufacturer of bulk chemicals, food additives, liquid oxygen, medical oxygen, herbal/ natural gums, spirits, industrial gases, sugar, and nutraceuticals.
The implementation process
The IT team at IGL consulted the heads of the sales, logistics, inventory, production, quality control, R&D, and the company CEO to take the dashboard-project forward. It formed a steering committee to manage the implementation. IGL selected QlikView by QlikTech after evaluating three brands. The parameters that QlikView scored better than others included simplicity of the tool, TCO, flexibility of selecting different metrics, multiple data dimensions, drill-down feature, flexibility to add data-points, and speed of report generation.
HCL Infosystems acted as the implementation partner for QlikView dashboard. It implemented one module at a time, such as sales, distribution, and production-planning. Starting from February 2012, when the implementation began, IGL now has 35 BI dashboards made available to 30 users from various departments.
Benefits of the dashboard
More on QlikView
QlikView BI implementation at Canon
Iffco Tokio gets a headstart with BI dashboard
Sheela Foam's sales improvement secret
Yes Bank gains customer insights with BI
Eurotunnel selects QlikView over SAP
Review: QlikView BI
According to Govil, IGL has experienced several benefits of QlikView.
• Users can pick and choose from a number of metrics/ filters for ad hoc queries.
• The solution uses the same Windows sign-on as defined in the Active Directory, thereby eliminating login issues.
• Users can drill down to outstanding collections for specific division, region, and product and compare the sales plan with actual collections within minutes.
• A product’s journey from the production to maintenance can be monitored in real time.
• Earlier, the users couldn’t track down any details to the base-data during meetings. With QlikView's BI dashboard, they can look up any information any time and in real time.
IGL plans to add two more source systems for QlikView BI. It has already tested and validated Microsoft's SharePoint solution and the historian data for the process control of the production systems as the next data sources. It expects to complete this work over the next one year.