By submitting your email address, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant topic offers from TechTarget and its partners. You can withdraw your consent at any time. Contact TechTarget at 275 Grove Street, Newton, MA.
The adapters, which are used with certain Cisco ADSL routers, can overheat and melt a hole through the housing, creating a fire hazard. The resulting exposed wires pose an electric shock hazard, a statement from the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) said.
Cisco has received only one report so far of a unit overheating, and no property damage or injuries were reported, the CPSC said.
The adapters are used with six different models of router sold for use in homes and small offices. They were sold through service providers and distributors worldwide between April 2000 and September 2001.
The power adapters were shipped with Cisco's 827, 827-4V, 826, SOHO77, SOHO77-50 and 827-EUR routers. The small, black adapters carry the part number 34-0949-02.
Customers who bought affected adapters should stop using them immediately and contact Cisco for a free replacement, the CPSC said.
A Cisco spokesman said the company contacted the CPSC after a user alerted it to the danger.
"We did some testing and decided to take the cautious approach and initiate the recall," the spokesman said.
Cisco Systems: www.cisco.com