Samsung and Shanghai Bell plan joint CDMA venture


Samsung and Shanghai Bell plan joint CDMA venture

Samsung Electronics and Shanghai Bell have announced plans to establish a joint venture company to develop, manufacture and sell CDMA-based mobile telecoms network equipment.1

The new company, Shanghai Bell Samsung Mobile Communications, is being formed as part of Samsung Electronics' bid to win a slice of network infrastructure orders expected to be placed by China United Telecommunications (China Unicom) next year. The venture has received the approval of the Chinese Government, Samsung said.

China Unicom, the country's second major carrier, started deploying commercial Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) networks earlier this year as the first stage of a national cellular network. Working with Nortel Networks, Lucent Technologies, Ericsson and Motorola, the first stage is due to be completed by the end of this year and will serve around 13 million users. The second stage orders, due next year, are expected to push network capacity to 70 million users.

South Korea was the first nation in the world to begin a commercial CDMA service and, with high-speed 2.5G services already available, is on the leading edge of CDMA worldwide.

Shanghai Bell, which is majority-owned by Alcatel, will own 51% of the new company with Samsung Electronics holding the remaining 49%.

Email Alerts

Register now to receive IT-related news, guides and more, delivered to your inbox.
By submitting your personal information, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant products and special offers from TechTarget and its partners. You also agree that your personal information may be transferred and processed in the United States, and that you have read and agree to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy.

COMMENTS powered by Disqus  //  Commenting policy