With online shopping reaching a crescendo this week, Google has brought out a list of top 10 things to do to maximise...
your firm's visibility to its search engine.
1. Update your wish list. Use the Search-based Keyword Tool to find keywords that you never thought of incorporating into your campaign for the holidays.
2. Know what's hot this season. Research on Insights for Search to see what the "Rising Searches" are and understand how people are searching for your brand and your competitors.
3. Read the wish lists. Type your website URL into Google Ad Planner to see who is looking for your site, broken down by demographic categories like age and gender.
4. Follow the reindeer. Use Ad Planner to find other websites that share the same demographics as yours and consider putting display ads on that site to target that audience.
5. Build new toys. Create new AdWords campaigns for your holiday lines and products that use new keywords, and keep in mind the trends you found on Insights for Search.
6. Train the elves. Test your AdWords campaigns by introducing new holiday promotions, then test your promotions. A "30% off" might work better than a "Buy One Get One Free."
7. Check your list twice:. Use Google Analytics to understand who, where and when your traffic is coming from during the holiday season.
8. Map out the route. Use Google Analytics to understand your purchasing cycle. Which pages have the highest bounce rate, and which do visitors leaves quickest?
9. Test run on the sleigh. Run experiments using Website Optimizer on the landing pages you have linked from your ads. Make sure the images are in the right place and that they're not a distraction for your customer. Play around with the size of the image and the image type.
10. Does the chimney work? Test different versions of your purchase page to see what works best. Change the "purchase" button on your webpage. Pick different colors - bright versus dark colors, and vary the button sizes. Try different text on your button to see which prompts the most clicks.