Don Touhig Labour Co-op Member of Parliament for Islwyn:
“Forgive me, but I am always wary of experts. An old friend once said to me “Beware of experts, they built the Titanic; ordinary folk like thee and me, we built the Ark”.
– Between 1968 and 1994 he worked in newspapers and publishing as a journalist, as editor of the Free Press of Monmouthshire and general manager of the Free Press Group of Newspapers.
– A member of MENCAP, MENSA and Amnesty International, and a Papal Knight of the Order of St. Sylvester.
– From 1999-2001 he was the Government whip with special responsibility for Wales.
– Between 2001 and 2005 he was a Wales Office Minister
– After the general election in 2005 he was appointed the Under Secretary of State of Defence and Minister for Veterans at the Ministry of Defence served until May 2006 .
– He is a member of the House of Commons’ Public Accounts Commitee. .