Everyone has their Achilles heel of technology, and although I’ve been very familiar with the Windows operating system until now, Windows 8 machines are far too stressful for me to get my head around. Here are 29 thoughts I had during my most recent attempt at setting up a new Windows 8.1 machine:
1. So many terms and conditions
2. Scroll through…
3. So many!
4. But it’s ok, because I get to customise with a pretty colour.
5. Not very business-like, but let’s go for PURPLE.
6. What, I need a Microsoft account to use a computer now?
7. Maybe I can skip it…
8. No, no I can’t.
9. Two factor authentication takes such a long time!
10. At least it’s keeping me safe.
11. Wow, it’s taking a long time to set up!
12. I wonder if it’s frozen?
13. Have I broken it?
14. It says don’t turn off…
15. “Almost ready”
17. You’ve been saying that for 5 minutes now.
18. I’ve broken it and I’ve not even done anything yet.
19. Finally the desktop!
20. The panels are sort of cool
21. I like how some of them update in real time.
22. Why does anything I try to open go straight to classic view?
23. What’s the point of the panel view if that’s just going to happen?
24. I keep forgetting Windows button doesn’t do Windows button things anymore…
25. How do I find the settings? Where’s the control panel?
26. This operating sy stem doesn’t know what it wants to be.
27. How do I get to my documents? Where are those guys hiding?
28. How do I use this app store, where are the things I need?
29. Never mind, I’ll do it on my phone.