If you received a laptop this Christmas, be warned: they might not be the tokens of love and affection you think. Several Korean newspapers have reported that a laptop owned by a local journalist had exploded while it was in sleep mode. News channel YTN even showed pictures of flames and smoke rising from it.
LG Chem (which made the battery) has asked a third party to investigate the incident, although there was no indication that the battery had been to blame.
In 2006, Sony began recalling 9.6 million lithium-ion batteries because of fears that they could burst into flames. Still, given that heating bills are scheduled to rise it might prove to be a cheaper way of keeping warm this year.