Physical security used more on IP networks


Physical security used more on IP networks

Cliff Saran

IT directors are increasingly looking to install physical security such as biometrics and card readers to protect their IP networks.

A survey of 100 companies conducted by Vanson Bourne for IT service provider Comunica reveals 64% of users have already adopted or plan to adopt physical security over IP networks in 2006. According to the survey, a quarter of  large businesses with over 3,000 employees have already adopted security over IP, and 48% are planning to implement it this year, but only 16% of smaller business have adopted physical security measures so far.

The financial sector has taken the lead in implementing the technology, with 31% having deployed it already and 38% planning to do so in 2006, which will take the total to 69%.

A quarter of the IT directors interviewed from the retail, distribution and transport sector were very positive about physical security over IP. A quarter had already adopted it and 52% expected to do so in the next 12 months.

Some 43% of IT directors from manufacturing companies planned to implement measures in the next 12 months.

Putting in place physical security measures have benefits over and beyond protecting IT systems. Rick Marshall, managing director of Comunica, said, "Investment in IP-based security will be future-proofed as it will also allow other systems, such as lifts, lighting, energy and other building management systems, to be managed over the IP network as they become IP-based."


Email Alerts

Register now to receive IT-related news, guides and more, delivered to your inbox.
By submitting your personal information, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant products and special offers from TechTarget and its partners. You also agree that your personal information may be transferred and processed in the United States, and that you have read and agree to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy.

COMMENTS powered by Disqus  //  Commenting policy