Microsoft has widthdrawn its Windows 8.1 update for Surface RT tablets after some users reported system crashe...
After installing the faulty update, some users reported error messages saying their computers had to be repaired and the Boot Configuration Data File was missing some information.
Microsoft has posted an apology in place of the update in the Windows Store, saying it is investigating.
The company has not provided any details of the problem, but claims that only a limited number of users have been affected.
Microsoft is the only supplier of the Windows RT tablets after Dell joined Asus, Lenovo and Samsung in dropping the device from their offerings.
More on Microsoft Surface
- Microsoft takes $900m hit on Surface RT
- Microsoft attempts to make Surface RT tablet enterprise-worthy
- Surface RT review: The good, the bad and the ugly
- Microsoft Surface RT vs. Surface Pro: Only one is really Windows
- Microsoft brings Surface Pro tablet to the UK
- Microsoft unveils Surface channel strategy with Microsoft Devices Program
- Video review: Microsoft Surface Pro
- Windows tablets explained: Windows 8 vs. RT
- Microsoft refreshes Surface tablet with free storage and Skype
After selling only $853m worth of Surface tablets in the fiscal year that ended in June, Microsoft had to take a $900m inventory charge because sales had not hit targets
Surface 2 is powered by an Nvidia Tegra 4 processor and offers an improved battery life of up to 10 hours.
It offers a full-size USB port, upgraded to the USB 3.0 specification for file transfers up to four times faster. Camera resolution has also increased, with a 3.5 megapixel front camera and 5 megapixel rear camera.
The Surface 2 tablet is available in 32GB and 64GB SSD configurations with prices starting at£359.
The Pro version is powered by a fourth-generation Intel Core i5 processor. Microsoft said Surface Pro 2 offers 60% longer battery life compared to the original Surface Pro.
Starting at £719, Surface Pro 2 will be offered with either a 64GB or 128GB SSD and 4GB of RAM.
A higher specification tablet with 8GB of RAM is also available in either 256GB or 512GB SSD configurations.