McAfee have announced McAfee Mobile Security software, available for both smartphones and tablets, which according to a recent press release provides a comprehensive mobile security solution by combining three leading McAfee mobile security products: WaveSecure, VirusScan Mobile and SiteAdvisor® for Android.
By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
With McAfee Mobile Security, consumers can now access the following features and functionality in a single download:
- Backup and restore data to help protect sensitive information and irreplaceable photos. Even if the device is missing, it can be backed up before it is wiped clean of information.
- Protection against misuse (such as excessive phone charges) as well as safeguarding personal data with remote locking capabilities
- An audible alarm to help users find the device or disrupt a thief, and send a pop-up notification with instructions for returning the device
- Remotely remove data from a lost or stolen device via the McAfee Web portal, mobile Web portal or via a SMS message from a buddy device
- 24/7 real-time anti-malware protection against viruses, worms and spyware, Trojan horses and battery-sapping malware
- Protection from malicious Web sites, phishing, identity theft, and credit card fraud when shopping online. SiteAdvisor software for Android provides color-coded site ratings right next to the search results, allowing Android users to confidently browse and search the mobile Web.
- Management of mobile device protection allows consumers to quickly execute needed security tasks, backup, locate, wipe, etc. via the McAfee Web portal and simple device interface
- All backed by McAfee Labs with its 24/7 global presence and dedicated team of threat researchers
The WaveSecure Tablet Edition offers Android users with WiFi the ability to find their missing device with alarm and location tracking, prevent misuse with remote lock and wipe and preserve important memories and personal data with remote backup, even from a lost or misplaced device.
Not unlike the Apple ‘Find My iPhone’ app, Android users can also trigger an audible alarm to help them find the device or disrupt a thief, and send a brief SMS message with instructions for returning it.
“With device growth eclipsing PCs, consumers need tools to not only protect their personal information, but also to provide safeguards for business data should they decide to use that device for work,” said Todd Gebhart, executive vice president and general manager of consumer, small business and mobile, McAfee.
“It’s far too easy to leave a mobile device in a cab or at the airport, which can mean lost photos, contacts and other important content. Also, the threats to mobile devices are in many ways the same as in the online world. Beyond device loss or theft, users can be hacked, infected or phished on a mobile device just as easily as they can online.”
Both applications offer a trial period, McAfee Mobile Security is then available for an annual subscription fee of $29.95.