Man in critical condition after mobile bursts into flames


Man in critical condition after mobile bursts into flames

Antony Savvas

A California man is fighting for his life after his mobile phone apparently ignited his polyester and nylon clothing in a hotel room.

The fire also set furniture alight in the room and the man was only discovered after the fire set off the hotel’s water sprinkling system and fire crews were called.

The incident was reported by the Times-Herald newspaper in California, which said the man had suffered second- and third-degree burns over 50% of his body and was in a critical condition.

Firefighters discovered the man lying on the bathroom floor. They believe the phone ignited his flammable polyester and nylon clothing and the situation was made worse by the fact he was sitting in a plastic chair.

There is speculation that the blaze was sparked by the mobile’s power button being depressed for a long time in the man’s trousers, or a short circuit in the phone.

The make of the mobile phone has not so far been revealed. Other mobile phones have combusted before, with the fires often blamed on counterfeit batteries.

Times-Herald report: cell ignites in man's pocket

Comment on this article:

Related Topics: IT strategy, VIEW ALL TOPICS

Email Alerts

Register now to receive IT-related news, guides and more, delivered to your inbox.
By submitting your personal information, you agree to receive emails regarding relevant products and special offers from TechTarget and its partners. You also agree that your personal information may be transferred and processed in the United States, and that you have read and agree to the Terms of Use and the Privacy Policy.

COMMENTS powered by Disqus  //  Commenting policy