- Mark, tell us what you do for a living.
I’m the sales director for Bloxx, and my key focus is on driving revenue for the company.
- Why are you the right person for this job?
I really believe in mixing experience with new ideas, breaking conventions and norms when approaching projects. I’ve always been prepared to take calculated risks and see myself as very outcome focused.
- What gets you up in the morning?
I’m actually pretty good at getting up in all honesty! If I struggle then it’s a sign that things have become routine, and I need to focus on something new. Getting in some exercise before getting to the office also helps start my day.
- Who helped you get to where you are today?
My wife without a doubt. It’s really important to have someone who is supportive of the fact that things in my line of work constantly change, and that I’m often away on business, so I’m very lucky in that respect.
- What is the best or worst business advice you have received and from whom?
I once was told ‘babies don’t read books’, which has always stuck with me. It basically means no matter how many books or guides on a certain subject you read, you cannot learn experience. The only way to learn is to get out there.
- What advice would you give to someone starting out today in IT?
That you can’t think of it as an ‘IT’ career. It’s a viewpoint stuck in the 90s. Tech is now an intrinsic part of everyday life. As a result its scope – from gaming to psychology – is so much broader.
- What does the next five years hold for the channel?
To look at it in a five year window seems too long. With the rate of advances in technology and the immediacy of information available, it’s utilising this tech in the shorter term that needs to take priority. The sector isn’t just a mechanism, and needs to evolve and add more value.
- Tell us something most people do not know about you.
I’ve done several survival courses, where I take myself off to remote locations and learn the necessary skills to survive. I’m also a big fan of Mixed Martial Arts – between these my friends joke I’m preparing for the end of the world!
- What goal do you have to achieve before you die, and why?
I’d love to travel with the Bushmen in the Kalahari desert; learning to track animals and how to survive. I’ve found the course to do it too!
- What was your first car and how does it compare to what you drive now?
I had a mini, and racked up nearly 100,000 miles in it before it was stolen! Nowadays I drive a jag and an old land rover defender, and much prefer the defender.
- If you were facing awesome peril and impossible odds, which real or fictional person would you most want on your side and why?
I’d have to go for a combination of Ray Mears and George Galloway. That mixture of pragmatism and talking your way out of anything would be pretty powerful!
- And finally, a grizzly bear and a silverback gorilla are getting ready for a no-holds-barred rumble. Who is your money on and why?
Has to be the gorilla for me. The ability to bluff and think through the situation has to be a massive advantage.