By submitting your personal information, you agree that TechTarget and its partners may contact you regarding relevant content, products and special offers.
One of the problems that often occurs with technology is that the focus of the sale is all about the benefits, reducing costs and delivering greater efficiency, and there is not always enough discussion about the details.
Take virtualisation for instance, it was sold as the great future for those looking to get more out of less but you sense that not many of those selling the first wave of products spent much time talking about security, backup and management.
That left customers either using existing tools, which were designed to deal with a physical not virtual infrastructure, or not bothering too much.
Now the virtualisation industry is facing up to a stall in the market which means around 40% of servers have been virtualised but the remaining 60% is not coming on stream anytime soon.
It's because of the management problems that the industry finds customers unwilling to go much further than they are now.
The good news is that there are products out there that can help and there is an upsell, education and fulfillment role for the channel.
The bad news is it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get the virtualisation engine running again.
All hands to the virtual pumps.