Turkey appears to be trying to block YouTube a day after a court ordered an end to the ban imposed on Twitter a...
The Turkish telecoms authority said it had taken an “administrative measure” against the site after an audio recording was uploaded anonymously of what sounds like Turkish officials discussing Syria.
The recording relates to possible military operations in Syria and was accompanied by photographs of Turkey’s intelligence chief, foreign minister and the deputy head of the armed forces.
While some YouTube users found access blocked, others could still use the site, reports the BBC.
Turkish prime minister Tayyip Erdogan denounced the leak as "villainous" and foreign minister Ahmet Davutoglu called the posting a "declaration of war," according to Reuters.
The escalation of tensions between Erdogan and his rivals in the run up to elections comes a week after he vowed to shut down Twitter after it failed to remove allegations of corruption in his inner circle.
More on Turkey
- Turkey attempts to increase block on Twitter
- Turkey blocks access to Twitter
- Turkey seeks tighter internet control
- Blogspot shut down in Turkey following football broadcast spat
- Turkey, Russia top Internet risk charts
- Turkey bans YouTube
- Anonymous attacks Turkish government websites in Antisec campaign protest
Erdogan, who faces local elections on Sunday, has accused social media of spreading misinformation and has previously threatened to ban YouTube and Facebook.
On Wednesday, a court in the capital, Ankara, ordered the lifting of the Erdogan-backed ban on Twitter, but reports said it could be weeks before the order takes effect.
Twitter said it had filed a challenge to the ban and was concerned about a court order to suspend an account which had accused a former minister of corruption.
The ban has been met with national and international outrage, with EU officials, human rights organisations, the US government and the UN expressing concern.