Charity begins at home - tax avoidance begins in Switzerland

Here's a heartwarmng Xmas story about Cadburys chocolate, the UK subsidiary of Kraft. Employees from Cadbury have somehow helped make dreams come true by bringing the Wishes Workshop to Westfield London. As Britain battles mass obesity, The Wishes Workshop encourageswelcomed families to dream up the

Here's a heartwarmng Xmas story about Cadburys chocolate, the UK subsidiary of Kraft.

Employees from Cadbury have somehow helped make dreams come true by bringing the Wishes Workshop to Westfield London.

As Britain battles mass obesity, The Wishes Workshop encourages welcomed families to dream up their 'perfect chocolatey treats'. Aided and abetted by Cadbury volunteers, the volunteers create a range of treats. Whatever money is raised at these workshops goes towards the corporation's donation to Make-A-Wish Foundation, which grants special wishes for children suffering from life-threatening illness.

So volunteers raise money and Cadbury's puts its name on the cheque.

If that wasn't enough, Cadbury is also selling novelty Wishes milk chocolate stars, of which 10 per cent of the profits go to the charity. What happens to the other 90 per cent?

That is a really heartwarming story, and is likely to make people forget that parent company Kraft is saving millions by avoiding taxes (perfectly legally!) by relocating part of the Cadbury business to Switzerland.

Isn't globalisation, through agile enterprise technology systems, wonderful?

 

This was last published in December 2010

MicroScope+

Content

Find more MicroScope+ content and other member only offers, here.

Read more on Finance and Credit

Start the conversation

Send me notifications when other members comment.

By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy

Please create a username to comment.

-ADS BY GOOGLE

ComputerWeekly

SearchITChannel

Close