Businesses and their IT suppliers should study the impact of five recent changes to pricing and licensing brought in by Microsoft, according to analyst form Forrester Research.
"Software sourcing professionals should study these changes and work with their
infrastructure, operations, and IT strategy colleagues to evaluate the implications for their firms," says Forerster
1. Office Pro Plus gets a 5% price increase.
2. Buyers get new licensing options for virtualised, mobile office deployments.
3. Microsoft shakes up Windows virtualisation licensing policies again.
4. Microsoft will cease selling Select agreements after July 1, 2011.
5. Software Assurance no longer has a 30-day grace period.
"While most of these changes are favorable for customers, Microsoft hasn't done enough to address concerns such as the mismatch between the cost and value of Office upgrades and the licensing complexity of desktop virtualisation," says Forrester